Poem on Christ

I got frustrated a while back because of a situation where a person had taken offense (not from something I had done but dealing with another person) and stopped coming to church. It got me thinking about how great we are at living the gospel until a trial comes, or a temptation, or someone offends us, or things just don't go our way. We forget that principles like repentance, forgiveness, love, compassion, faith, endurance, and patience are to help us through these hard times. It made me think of Jesus Christ and how He endured. As we go through trials, and apply the principles of the gospel, we too can progress just as Christ did. This poem was inspired by the aforementioned situation.

"Jesus The Christ"

What made Jesus our "Shepherd"?
Was it leading the ninety and nine?
Or leaving these alone for the one to search and find.

And how was Jesus "Exemplar"?
By His smile when smiled at?
Or by patiently submitting when evil men upon Him spat.

What made Jesus "Savior"?
Was it happiness without loss?
Or was it being nailed upon the cold and wooden cross.

And how was Jesus "Anointed"?
By trumpet and song all day?
Or by three humble wise men as He sleep on manger hay.

How became Jesus "Messiah"?
Was it kindness he was shown?
Or was it bearing pain and grief from sins not of His own.

I call Jesus "Redeemer"
Why call him such a thing?
Because He earned the title by descending below all things.

The good of life, the ease and joy
Did not Him the label bring
Of Jesus the "Anointed One", "Messiah", "Savior","King"

But suffering the pain of men
Bearing persecution all His life
Spilling blood and sweat and many tears
This made Him "Jesus The Christ".

Ben Arkell
October 2007

4 comments:

  1. Ben, It is 1:11 in the morning and I cannot sleep so decided to read all the blogs. Thank you for the poem. I really enjoyed, needed and appreciated it. I loved the words to the song. Now you need to sing it for us. Maybe Gina could use it for YW. It was great. I am proud! I hope you enjoy this comment. It is done with one good hand and one broken. Taunia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to type a comment with your left hand. That was very kind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem! I knew you could write funny poems, but this is seriously a great one. Keep sharing the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really good poem. There's a situation in YW right now where I could use this with one of my girls. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete